The Resource 1001 paintings you must see before you die
- 1001 paintings you must see before you die
- Statement of responsibility
- Stephen Farthing ; foreword by Geoff Dyer
- With more than 300,000 copies sold worldwide in 15 languages, this newly revised and updated edition of 1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die brings you right up to date with an incisive look at the world's best paintings. From Ancient Egyptian wallpaintings to contemporary Western canvases, this book is truly comprehensive in its scope and beautiful to leaf through. Within its pages you will see displayed 1001 of the most memorable, haunting, powerful, important, controversial and visually arresting paintings that have ever been created. Remarkably, more than 400 twentieth- and twenty-first century paintings are reproduced in these pages, including newly discovered works from contemporary galleries...Entertaining and informative text written by an international team of artists, curators, art critics and art collectors illuminates both the paintings and the people who painted them. An insightful review accompanies a beautiful reproduction of every painting - an envable art collection to dip into whenever you please. Organised chronologically, you will discover fascinating and surprising juxtapositions as well as pleasing similarities as you turn the sumptuous pages. The paintings are listed by artist and by title, maing it easy to find a specific painting or trace the development of one painter's work...Accompany Professor Stephen Farthing on his personal guided tour of the paintings everyone should strive to see in a lifetime. Many are easily accessible - in well-known galleries, such as the Louvre in Paris or MoMA in New York, and in smaller collections across the far reaches of the globe. Every one of them is worth planning to see
- Biographical or historical data
- Stephen Farthing is a painter and the Rootstein Hopkins Research Professor in Drawing at the University of Arts, London. In 1990 he was elected Master of Ruskin School of Drawing at the University of Oxford, and a Professional Fellow at St Edmund Hall, Oxford. In 1998 he was elected member of the Royal Academy of Arts, London. He originally studied at St Martin's School of Art, London. He has been teaching fine art since 1977. His paintings are exhibited in galleries throughout the world, in particular the UK, Japan and South America.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
ContextContext of 1001 paintings you must see before you die
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1001 paintings you must see before you die
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.upperhutt.kotui.org.nz/resource/9mBnRnko0NE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.upperhutt.kotui.org.nz/resource/9mBnRnko0NE/">1001 paintings you must see before you die</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.upperhutt.kotui.org.nz/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.upperhutt.kotui.org.nz/">Upper Hutt City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Upper Hutt City Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...